Saturday, May 07, 2011

Africa


I’m about to embark on a great adventure! I have drafted a detailed letter which I'll soon send out to some friends & family; I wanted to include a portion of that letter here since I've had many people asking for more details about my upcoming trip.

I will travel to Africa with a large group. The group is made up of smaller teams that will work in different areas during the day, and come together at night at a retreat center. Some of the teams are: clean water, health, sports, pastoral, and teaching. I am part of the two person teaching team.

The school where we’ll spend our days is about an hour away from the retreat center. We'll help teachers develop lesson plans, train on classroom management and setup, show them how to use stories and other methods to reinforce lessons instead of just using repetitive drills (currently their main teaching method). We will take some materials there and help them create some materials, but our main focus will be to leave the teachers with skills they can pass on to other teachers, thus helping them to be self-sufficient instead of needing to rely on outside help. While I will help with all of the above, I will also spend a lot of time subbing in the classrooms while the other team member works one-on-one with the teachers. They teach in British English, but there will still be a language barrier due to unfamiliar words and accents. Students at the school are preschool - 5th grade.

At the end of our time at the school, we will enjoy a 2 day safari before leaving Africa. One exciting aspect of the trip is that I’ll also be traveling with my dad who is on the team that will work with area pastors. On our way home, he and I will split off from the group and spent two days in England – one with a friend, and one in London.

Finally and most importantly, I ask and thank you for your prayers - for me while I go out of my comfort zone, my family who will be without me for that time, and those I will encounter while I am gone.

No comments: