Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Opportunity Knocks

For some time now, I've been praying that God will draw me and our family closer to Him. That is a desire of mine always, but at times in my life I pray more specifically along those lines. I've learned in the past that it can be a dangerous prayer to pray. It causes changes and challenges for which I am not always prepared, but through which I am always made better. As I've prayed this prayer over the past months, I've also prayed for opportunities for us as a family or individually. My girls have both had good friends move away in the past few years, so I've prayed for opportunities to make new friends to fill the gaps they feel. Faith desires to be a missionary, so I've prayed about possible opportunities for her to go to Haiti where our church takes a group on a semi-annual basis. I've prayed that Scott would be able to go with her so I'm not sending my pre-teen out of the country without a parent. I've prayed that we will be better parents and show our kids unconditional love (and God has given us MANY opportunities to practice that - and there is much more practice ahead I'm sure).

I have spent exactly ZERO time praying about going on a mission trip myself. I have never left the country although I've always assumed I'll go somewhere someday (thinking more along the lines of anniversary trip to Europe rather than a mission trip). Missions has always been something that I've been very willing to support when friends and family have an opportunity to go, but nothing I've considered for myself. Until last week.

I received a call from my dad asking if I would join a group of teachers going to Africa in late May. They will be working in Uganda and needed one more teacher to join the team - a preschool teacher (my occupation before parenthood). My first reaction when my dad called: Nice thought, it feels good to be considered, but no way!  I'm not going to leave my family for 2+ weeks to go across the globe. I'll bow out gracefully. Good, then I won't have to fly all that way. (Yes, I really think such things.) Instead of verbalizing all that, told him I'd pray about it and think about it and discuss it with Scott. So we did and I did and I discussed it with a few friends. Overwhelmingly I was left with a feeling of excitement and possibilities. Scott and I made the decision that I'll go. We have some logistics to work out yet. The kids will be out of school by the time I leave, and it's not practical for Scott to take two weeks off work. I have much fundraising to do in a very short time (most of the people on the team to Uganda have been raising funds for months and plane tickets will be purchased soon).  However, I believe that this opportunity is from God, so I know these logistics will fall into place.

As I prepare for this adventure, I know I'll have much more to share, but I'll close with Jeremiah 33:3, which says, "Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know." I'm calling to God and ready to learn all that He has in store for me through this opportunity. I'm stepping out of my comfort zone!

My dad in Uganda at the school where we'll be working.

No comments: